What you are is what you hear

Östen Häggmark haggmark@mailbox.calypso.net
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:40:37 +0100

At 13.41 1997-02-03 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings;
>
> Susan Kline asks;=20
>>Is it possible to refine hammer technique enough to compensate for lack of
>>heavy blows?
>
>Yes,  though some pinblock/agraffe/capo bar combinations are more easily
>manipulated to this end than others.
>
>Regards,=20
>Ed Foote=20

A collegue who spent some time in the Steinway shop in Berlin last year,
told me that there they used a very refined technique with soft key blows
and taking the *slack* out of the string by means of manipulating the
tuning pin in the direction of the agraffe/capo. They seemed to consider
the heavy blow method bad for the voicing as well as the tuners ears.

Best regards =20
=D6sten H=E4ggmark
Stockholm