Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 10:11:20 -0500 (EST)

Osten, Niklas;
  We all use theory and theoretical strategy in our tuning, but we don't tune
in theory we tune in real time. Without regard to temperament used, the first
note tuned outside of the temperament starts/continues us on our journey away
from the theoretical and into the possible. In military operations a detailed
plan is made before any movement starts. Then after the first shot is fired,
or the first foot moves, the plan is changed to accommodate the real
situation at hand. The same is true with our temperament(s).
  I have heard tunings accomplished with some very strange temperaments that
were really quite good. Tuning is an art and we should judge tuning that way.
In other words, do you like the finished product or not. We should judge a
painting by whether or not it speaks to us favorably, and not whether we
think the artist should have used a specific type of brush. Likewise we
should judge a tuning by whether or not it sounds like a well constructed,
pleasing, tuning and not by the temperament used.
Just some thoughts.
 JIm Bryant (FL)