Bosendorfer Problems

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 09:53:03 -0600

Charles,

   Your humidity control problems are probably "one" of the biggest
problems. Several years ago, in my previous self-employed status, I
maintained a new Bosendorfer for one of my customers. Every time I went in
to tune, about every 3 months, I usually had to do a pitch adjustment,
either up or down. I checked everything!! Even pin block fit to plate.
Couldn't find a thing wrong. I called and talked to the Bosendorfer tech
rep at Kimball, and he told me that they were much more sensitive to
humidity changes than most pianos. If I remember correctly, he said they
have a spruce rim.
   The customer had a humidity control system in his central air/heat so I
asked him how long it had been since being serviced. Quite a while. He had
it checked and found that it wasn't working. It was repaired and I never
had to do another pitch adjustment on that instrument.
   It was amazing how much difference that made.

Avery

>And yes, the humidity control in the hall where the Bosendorfer is kept
>is abyssmal.
>I am constantly readjusting the pitch on the instrument.
>
>Charles Faulk RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston