Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning)

Tue, 04 Feb 1997 13:03:10 -0800

Jim,

Thoughts with which I completely concur.

Horace

At 10:11 AM 2/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Osten, Niklas;
>  We all use theory and theoretical strategy in our tuning, but we don't tune
>in theory we tune in real time. Without regard to temperament used, the first
>note tuned outside of the temperament starts/continues us on our journey away
>from the theoretical and into the possible. In military operations a detailed
>plan is made before any movement starts. Then after the first shot is fired,
>or the first foot moves, the plan is changed to accommodate the real
>situation at hand. The same is true with our temperament(s).
>  I have heard tunings accomplished with some very strange temperaments that
>were really quite good. Tuning is an art and we should judge tuning that way.
>In other words, do you like the finished product or not. We should judge a
>painting by whether or not it speaks to us favorably, and not whether we
>think the artist should have used a specific type of brush. Likewise we
>should judge a tuning by whether or not it sounds like a well constructed,
>pleasing, tuning and not by the temperament used.
>Just some thoughts.
> JIm Bryant (FL)

Horace Greeley

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history"

			- George Bernard Shaw

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062