Perfect tuning

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 07:14:17 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-02-06 22:26:05 EST, haggmark@mailbox.calypso.net
(=?iso-8859-1?Q?=D6sten_?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4ggmark?=) writes:

<< The point here would be that we should not only look at
 beats and cents but also at the music. >>

Dear ึsten,

I am one of those who believes in studying the music whenever possible to
prepare for a concert. For example, the vast differences in the style and
tone between Mozart and Debussy tell me that I must make sure that the piano
will not only acommodate both but will at the same time allow the pianist to
maximize each. Just as we make compromises in our tuning, we then also make
compromises in our voicing. Studying the scores is just another tool I use to
strive for that goal.

Gina Carter

PS I just read Horace's (see note below) reply to your question. It reminded
me, not unfavorably, of how much of an apprentice I will always be. Learning
is such a wonderful experience. Thank you Horace and List.

(Note) to read, Horace's first reponse. His second reply much more clearly
explains what I attempted to say above.