vertical hammer hanging

Eliot Lee elee@amug.org
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 08:49:13 -0700 (MST)

Hello List,

        I just returned from Manila with my wife and kid and are now
greeted with over 1000 pianotech notes, no more need for books!

        I bought some Japanese Hammers while there and was going to install
on my father-in-law's piano, but time escaped me and I have to do it the
next visit.

        Unfortunately I will be unable to attend Bill Spurlock's class in
Sacremento as I had wished so please give some tips.

        According to Randy Potter, hammer hanging is considered advanced
piano technology and requires up to 8 hours to do, if any of you know a
quicker way I am sure all of us will benefit, because this is a procedure
all of us will have to do at some time in our lives.

        Bob Jacela, the pianotech there uses steam to remove the heads, he
invented his own machine, which is essentially an electric water heater in
a can that directs steam to the head.

        Bill Spurlock's scheme of drilling a hole, adding wallpaper remover
and then removing with a drywall screw seems to labor intensive.

        When rehanging, the shanks should be still good, and so I might try
steam, according to Bob Jacela he can do it within 3 hours.  He leaves the
end hammers of each section to properly align the replacements, then
replaces them when the row is completed.  Isn't Hide Glue recommended?

        If you know of any hanging jigs please tell us where they are
available, because this is something which I would eventually like to
acquire.

        Anything which can cut down the hours would benefit us all, so  you
seasoned vets out there might want to sew on this thread for awhile.

        Thanks,  Eliot Lee

G. Eliot Lee
Phoenix, AZ
elee@amug.org
(602) 957-1711
"You are never alone or helpless, the force that guides the stars guides
you too."  - P.R. Sarkar