vertical hammer hanging

Niklas Eliasson e96nikel@isy.liu.se
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 17:04:09 +0100

Eliot Lee wrote:

>         Bob Jacela, the pianotech there uses steam to remove the
> heads, he invented his own machine, which is essentially an electric
> water heater in a can that directs steam to the head.

There is a very good tool to remove hammer heads, it looks like
a pair of pliers and shouldn't be too hard to find. Just be sure to
get all the glue surroundings away with a sharp knife, and then it is
quite efficient.

But of course, the time consuming part is the gluing of new hammers.
I don't have a patent solution. A tip, though: Drill a very, very tiny
hole from the side so that you can be sure that all the air disappears
from inside the hammer. Otherwise you might get a 'donk' sound when you
play the note - especially in the treble.

( I have done that mistake...)

Niklas E
Linkoping, Sweden