vertical hammer hanging

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 08:16:12 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Eliot Lee wrote:

> Sacremento as I had wished so please give some tips.
	Eliot, hire a veteran technician to show you how to do the job.
You'll be glad you did. From your questions, it seems that you are in over
your head.

>         According to Randy Potter, hammer hanging is considered advanced
> piano technology and requires up to 8 hours to do, if any of you know a
> quicker way I am sure all of us will benefit, because this is a procedure
> all of us will have to do at some time in our lives.
	It *is* advanced piano technology. If you don't understand the
touchweight implications of replacing hammers, and aren't skilled in
reglulating and voicing, you have no business replacing hammers. I've seen
more botched hammer jobs, resulting in more unplayable pianos, than I care
to contemplate....
	8 hours to do what? To do the whole job, including regulation and
voicing, I would consider 8 hours quite fast.

> and then removing with a drywall screw seems to labor intensive.
	This is not a method of removing hammers. It is a method for
removing broken hammer shanks in the field.

>         When rehanging, the shanks should be still good, and so I might try
> steam, according to Bob Jacela he can do it within 3 hours.  He leaves the
	Do what in 3 hours? Remove the hammers? Remove and replace the
hammers? For hammer removal only, 3 hours would be incredibly slow. For
removal and replacement, incredibly fast.

>         If you know of any hanging jigs please tell us where they are
> available, because this is something which I would eventually like to
> acquire.
	Schaff has a jig for vertical hammers which looks very
complicated. I've never tried it. For grands, I use Spurlock's jig.

	Best wishes,

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington
Seattle, WA