vertical hammer hanging

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 15:02:00 -0500 (EST)

At 08:16 AM 2/8/97 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Eliot Lee wrote:
>
>> Sacremento as I had wished so please give some tips.
>	Eliot, hire a veteran technician to show you how to do the job.
>You'll be glad you did. From your questions, it seems that you are in over
>your head.
>
>>         According to Randy Potter, hammer hanging is considered advanced
>> piano technology and requires up to 8 hours to do, if any of you know a
>> quicker way I am sure all of us will benefit, because this is a procedure
>> all of us will have to do at some time in our lives.
>	It *is* advanced piano technology. If you don't understand the
>touchweight implications of replacing hammers, and aren't skilled in
>reglulating and voicing, you have no business replacing hammers. I've seen
>more botched hammer jobs, resulting in more unplayable pianos, than I care
>to contemplate....
>	8 hours to do what? To do the whole job, including regulation and
>voicing, I would consider 8 hours quite fast.
>
>> and then removing with a drywall screw seems to labor intensive.
>	This is not a method of removing hammers. It is a method for
>removing broken hammer shanks in the field.
>
>>         When rehanging, the shanks should be still good, and so I might try
>> steam, according to Bob Jacela he can do it within 3 hours.  He leaves the
>	Do what in 3 hours? Remove the hammers? Remove and replace the
>hammers? For hammer removal only, 3 hours would be incredibly slow. For
>removal and replacement, incredibly fast.
>
>>         If you know of any hanging jigs please tell us where they are
>> available, because this is something which I would eventually like to
>> acquire.
>	Schaff has a jig for vertical hammers which looks very
>complicated. I've never tried it. For grands, I use Spurlock's jig.
>
>	Best wishes,
>

>Steve Brady, RPT
>University of Washington
>Seattle, WA

Eliot,

        I've put up a picture of the Jaras jig for vertical hammer hanging
on our web site.  http://www.majesticpiano.com/hmrpict.htm    It's the
picture on the right.  I agree with Steve; experience is a prerequisite to
do this job competently.

        As far as removing the old hammers, once sample notes are saved, you
may use a side cutter, splitting the tails.  This is a bit messy, but fast
and effective.  Once the hammers are off, insert the hammer shank reducer
into your portable drill and clean the glue bead from existing shanks.
Note: turn the nut on the reducer just enough to clean the shank as it isn't
necessary to reduce per se...hammer bore determines this.

        The Jaras jig, sold by Schaff (if still available) is really slick.
It looks more complicated than it is.  I had to read the directions several
times before the concept sunk in (most things are like that for me!). It
would be a rather long post to describe all the whys and wherefores that
this job entails.  Take a look at Reblitz for some other ideas (he uses
rulers).  Once you understand the principles of vertical hammer hanging it
isn't such an overwhelming job.  Some others use the every other hammer
routine, which will help you stay consistent when replacing...tails lined
up, strike points even, height, rake, etc.

Hope this is helpful

Good luck,

Dave Swartz, RPT
dms2000@pioneerplanet.infi.net