Upright Piano Tension

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:51:31 -0700 (MST)

The few times I don't tune to A440 is when the condition of the strings
appears to be marginal, or the customer just doesn't want to spend the
extra money to raise pitch. Rarely do I deviate from pitch due to climatic
conditions.

The 1927 date is questionable since the official pitch was changed to 440
in 1917. Sure, some factories may have lagged behind a little.

If the pinblock looks good, compromising to 438 is small potatoes.  My
Psychologist says:
                   "Rule #1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
                    Rule #2. Everything is small stuff."

You are right about pianos being designed to take more tension than is
required. Some factories tune the pianos 1/2 step high on chip tunings
(that's before the piano sees any hammers or action).

Jim C. Sr.