Cupid's Plate

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:14:07 -0500

     Dear List,

     I need some advice -

     PIANO: 1917 Sohmer and Co., 5ft 4in Grand, Model: Cupid.

     My client would like to have this piano restrung with new hammers
     installed - she's not interested in a complete rebuild. The case,
     action, dampers, soundboard, bridges, crown, downbearing conditions
     are near excellent (obviously very well cared for). All (original)
     tuning pins were driven 3 years ago. All tuning pins are again
     slipping, making a fine tuning nearly impossible. Very sentimental
     piano. She is an instructor, very accomplished pianist, and a valuable
     source of referrals. She uses the piano for lessons and personal use.

     I've heard that this particular model of Sohmer is prone to plate
     breakage at the capo area. (This plate has small holes for the treble
     strings to pass through.)

     In addition to front aggraffes, there are back aggraffes on the
     bridge. I suspect that this will add significantly to the re-stringing
     time. The bridge aggraffes are of a size and shape that I have never
     seen before from any supply house.

     I would like to do the work for her, but not if there is a good chance
     of the plate cracking on me. I'd like to replace the aggraffes, but
     don't know where to get the back bride aggraffes (can I burnish the
     originals effectively?). Price dictates that we use over-sized tuning
     pins, as opposed to a new pinblock (too expensive for her).

     Has anyone had any experience with this model of piano? Any advice as
     to how I should exercise caution when dealing with this particluar
     plate? Can only new strings and hammers be added with good results, or
     is a complete rebuild the only way to go for something like this? Or
     should I run from this one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

     My EMAIL address is given below if you wish to respond privately.

     Thank you.

     John Piesik, RPT
     Piesik's Piano Service
     Carlsbad, CA