FREE FALLING FALLBOARD

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:33:33 -0500 (EST)

At 07:56 AM 2/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>While tuning a Kimball Grand for a first-time customer,
>  1.  How difficult is it to repair the fallboard?

>                                    JIM

I just repaired a fallboard on a Kimball. It wasn't a slow fall type but
rather one that had a catch very similar to a cabinet door type catch. I've
seen the same set up on early Korean pianos-read SOJIN, DAEWOO and a host of
stencil pianos.  The problem was that the original catch was made out of
plastic or possibly nylon, that simply couldn't take the daily stress of
opening and closing and just fell apart. I replaced it with one made of
metal, with rollers, which are  very easily found in any local hardware
store. It only took a couple of minutes to locate the new holes for the new
catch and line everything up. The catch has slotted alignment holes, so if
you're not quite right the first time it's very easy to realign. Not sure if
that is your problem, but your welcome to my two cents worth.

Joseph Alkana RPT