Warping Probs. Baldwin Hamilton

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 00:08:12 -0500

ROLLAND MILLER wrote:

> Hello list,
> I am presently trying to get a Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright SN 189230 (1969)
> to "work".  It is in a church.  The keys had bad warps in them and I believe
> that the balance rail has a constant warp "in progress".
>
> I took the keys and key frame home and tried to un-warped the keys by wetting
> the part between the button and key top, clamping the key in a vice at the
> button point and clamping the fronts with some twist in the direction opposite
> the origional warp.  I heated the wet part with an iron for a few seconds so
> that the outside of the key seemed dry.  I then let the keys set overnight.
> When I inserted the keys back into the key frame they were not by any means
> perfect but they were much improved.  I repeated the process with the worst keys
> and it was "good enough" to suit me.
>
> When I took the key frame and keys back to the church, the keys seemed to
> re-warp in front of my eyes.
> My basement work shop is a bit dry in the winter, about 35% relative humidity.
> When the keys were returned to the higher humidity in the church,  evidently the
> wood grain could not take the change.
>
> The height of the balance rail on this piano is adjusted  by about 3 sets of
> wood screws set above and below the balance rail.  I have had to go back to this
> piano twice after putting the keys back in.  Once to fix a pair of rubbing bass
> hammers and a second to relieve some hammers that were blocking.  The changes in
> key level/height were very noticable.  About 1/16" up and 1/16" down from place
> to place.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Does this make/year piano have a history of warping problems?
> 2. What suggestions would list member have regarding solving/improving the
> warping problems in both the keys and balance rail?
> 3. Are there some "techniques" that are needed to properly set the balance rail
> adjustment screws so that the rail is at an even height for its whole length?
> Without hills and valleys.
>
> I believe the balance rail warping is the most serious problem.  It really threw
> off the key level and dip.  The dip is now so shallow (5/16") in some places
> that the keys feel hard to press down.  In other places the dip is 7/16".
> Although the keys are no where near square, they seem to operate well enough to
> do their job.  I'm not trying to get a well regulated set of keys in either dip
> or level. I think with the warped /unsquare keys, I will be doing well just to
> get things to "work" and keep working.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Rolland Miller, RPT, MPT
> Miller Piano Service
> Berea, OH

Roland,
      First, I applaud you for your dedicated effort. I don't know the
answer to your problem but I'd like to admonish you to be careful how
you approach it. It kinda sounds like it could be a no win situation to
me. Can you get enough correction with regards to how much time would be
spent? And could you charge within a fair price for you and what the
customer should spend to repair this piano?

                                   Greg