Cracked plates

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:08:13 -0800

Dave and list,

Thanks for reminding me of Bob Beck's name.  He's probably forgotten more
about cast iron than any of the rest of us could hope to learn.  He used to
teach classes on design, methods, etc.

Years ago, I lived in San Bernardino, CA, which had had a big Santa Fe
repair station in the days when there were real trains.  Another technician
put me in touch with one of the last boilermakers there.  His method, which
certainly reflects an earlier time, was to heat the entire plate to a warm
cherry-red, do the welding and then gradually reduce the heat.  His claim
was that this method caused less interior stress in the metal, and allowed
for a stronger weld.  I don't know about that.  I do know that the dozen or
so plates I had him do never broke.

Best.

Horace

>Lou,
>
>In this month's Piano Technicians Journal is an advertisement
>from one...Bob Beck, RPT in New Jersey, 201-884-0404, who's
>apparent specialty is welding broken plates.  He might be
>able to help.
>
>ilvey
>Pacifica, CA
>
>> A prospective client has a good quality grand otherwise worth rebuilding
>> except for a cracked plate.
Horace Greeley

"Great ideas have always encountered violent opposition from
	mediocre minds."

		Albert Einstein

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu