FREE FALL

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:10:04 -0500

     Gina writes:

"The first question I ask is "How long has it been since the piano has been
serviced." Please note I use the word "serviced" and not the word "tuned."
(Thank you LaRoy!) <snip> Most importantly I tell them up-front that if the
piano is not at pitch, and that I won't know if it is or isn't until I get to
the piano, that the probability exists that this first session will cost
more.  I tell the customer  "I would rather tell you before we set up the
appointment that this possibility exists so you will not be surprised with an
additional cost when I get there." <snip> Most of the time they thank me for
being straight forward with them.

<snip> I didn't give any prices over the phone. Now, I don't hesitate. If a
customer is price shopping, it pleases me to tell them what my fees are. I am
sure they can always find someone cheaper....

Gina Carter"

Gina, I like your "right-on" philosophy and methods!

Try this next time you get a call from someone wanting/needing to know whether
or not their piano will require a pitch raise:

I keep a tuning fork by my phone (happens to be a C-fork - most folks can find a
C easier than an A).  Have them play that note a few times while you listen with
your fork over the phone.  The phone lines only raise the frequency a little
bit, and you get a pretty good idea of where that piano is at before you even
arrive at the home!  People love it, and they are impressed!

John Piesik, RPT