Warping Probs. Baldwin Hamilton

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:12:17 -0600

At 10:18 PM 2/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>I am presently trying to get a Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright SN 189230
(1969)
>to "work".  It is in a church.  The keys had bad warps in them and I believe
>that the balance rail has a constant warp "in progress".
>
>I took the keys and key frame home and tried to un-warped the keys by wetting
>the part between the button and key top, clamping the key in a vice at the
>button point and clamping the fronts with some twist in the direction
opposite
>the origional warp.  I heated the wet part with an iron for a few seconds so
>that the outside of the key seemed dry.  I then let the keys set overnight.
>When I inserted the keys back into the key frame they were not by any means
>perfect but they were much improved.  I repeated the process with the
worst keys
>and it was "good enough" to suit me.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Rolland Miller, RPT, MPT
>Miller Piano Service
>Berea, OH
>

>Roland,
	Down here in the 9" per year dryness, I've been conned into doing too much
work just to achieve mediocre results, also. My experience with wood
warping problems has led me to the "replace it" stage in almost all cases.
Key sets aren't that big of a deal in those studios. Call Baldwin and the
folks at Pratt-Win will put together a set for you. It's much easier to
sell to a church committee and takes the pressure off your work's
integrity. A semi- functioning non-regulatable set will always catch flak
from the pianist, who will spread the word, youbetcha.

			Good Luck,
				Guy Nichols, RPT