"double striking" problem

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:35:27 -0700 (MST)

Hi Avery:

You did a lot of the right things.  The most usual cause of this
problem however is the close let-off.  I also like to use the
closest let-off possible, BUT, it is important to test the blow
with a very soft blow using a vertical stiff finger.  Pianists are
able to play much softer than we mere mortals. While standing,
play each key with a very soft touch (almost to the point of
failure) and you will catch the double bouncers.  What is
happening is that in this type of playing, the key does not reach
the bottom of the stroke, therefore, there is no let-off or after
touch. Increasing the after-touch still will not solve the problem.
Only increasing the let-off will.  All the other things you did were
good, the checking, making the springs right with minimum bounce
at the top etc.

Jim Coleman, Sr.