"double striking" problem

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:22:41 +0000

hI aVERY,

I was preparing a grand for a concert last year, in Blackburn Cathedral
it was a hire a piano a brand new Yamaha.  The pianist came in and said
there was a problem with the treble when you played soft it was weird he
said and a clicking damper.

The problem was similar to yours, three notes just above  the treble
break can't remember which ones not important.  When played hard hammers
o.k. when played soft hammers double sriked.  This was a well regulated
piano factory set spring tension,  I stripped the action down when
through the whole thing couldn't find anything... was fast running out
of time.  So I went down the road, you went down, dropped the set off
and the drop screw.  This cured it but I wasn't happy.  I thought right,
just time to sort out the clicking damper.  This is where my problem
was,   how it got there I don't know.  There was a little plastic straw
stuck to the damper slap rail.  With its tail protruding along and
catching the edge of one of the notes on the next break this was the one
what was clicking, so I dismissed this one in my initial search for the
bouncing hammers fool.  What was happening when the key was pressed hard
the straw was collapsing but when the key was played softly, there was
just enough resistance to stop the check from catching the tail of the
hammerhead.

Not saying you have a straw in your piano,  but you may have some fluff
on your damper slap rail.  Or the rail may have slipped down,
*unlikely*.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,

Barrie.
#
In article <v01530500af278786bd3f@[129.7.16.129]>, Avery Todd
<atodd@UH.EDU> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |