price suggestions--9' Mehlin 1924

Mark Johnston markj@acsinc.net
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:53:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BC1926.C6FDBA60

Dear List,
Good to be back with you all after being away for some time of R&R, work,
etc.
The piano rebuilding shop where I work part time has acquired (very
cheaply) a 1924 Mehlin 9 footer. (In my short 12 years of tuning exp. I
hadn't ever even seen one.) Even with original string-- and possibly orig.
hammers, it sounds very good.
The pins have been pounded and some are not tight, the case has a fair to
normal amount of 73 years of wear. The lid is cracked in two places. The
soundboard has two "hairline" cracks. My boss plans on offering it at 3
prices...as is (not my suggestion);  a "tonal and touch" rebuild--new
strings,pin block, hammers,shanks, action felts, keytops, key bushings,
_repaired_ sound board, regulation, etc. and
the above plus a refinishing in black with repaired lid.
Our thinking is that if we can sell it to a college or fine arts H.S. as a
practice only instrument or to a church for a choir room, they may not want
the extra expense of a refinishing job, especially if it is going to a
college as a practice piano to have bookbags and Pepsi cans chucked on
top... or what ever else goes on (on top of 9' pianos in practice rooms at
2am) ;)
We don't have a lot of experience with these 9's, our B&B is the living
room and music teacher size grands. Any ideas for prices/ maketing
techniques for this little baby would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steven Moore
Greenville SC

------=_NextPart_000_01BC1926.C6FDBA60

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Dear List,<br>Good to be back with you =
all after being away for some time of R&amp;R, work, etc.<br>The piano =
rebuilding shop where I work part time has acquired (very cheaply) a =
1924 Mehlin 9 footer. (In my short 12 years of tuning exp. I hadn't ever =
even seen one.) Even with original string-- and possibly orig. hammers, =
it sounds very good.<br>The pins have been pounded and some are not =
tight, the case has a fair to normal amount of 73 years of wear. The lid =
is cracked in two places. The soundboard has two &quot;hairline&quot; =
cracks. My boss plans on offering it at 3 prices...as is (not my =
suggestion); &nbsp;a &quot;tonal and touch&quot; rebuild--new =
strings,pin block, hammers,shanks, action felts, keytops, key bushings, =
&nbsp;_repaired_ sound board, regulation, etc. and<br>the above plus a =
refinishing in black with repaired lid.<br>Our thinking is that if we =
can sell it to a college or fine arts H.S. as a practice only instrument =
or to a church for a choir room, they may not want the extra expense of =
a refinishing job, especially if it is going to a college as a practice =
piano to have bookbags and Pepsi cans chucked on top... or what ever =
else goes on (on top of 9' pianos in practice rooms at 2am) ;) =
&nbsp;<br>We don't have a lot of experience with these 9's, our B&amp;B =