Cracked plates

Ray Hopland hoplandr@cadvision.com
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 21:06:07 -0700

List;

        My most serious cracked plate was on a 9' Grotrian Steinweg that
cracked as I was releasing the tension.  This was a fairly expensive
instrument and I was quite concerned.  I also explored the idea of having
the entire frame preheated and then welded.  I was given the advice not to
as there was a very good possibility that it could warp the frame.  From
what I understand, The welding should be done with a nickle rod which does
not produce a high heat and should be welded on both sides and can also be
reinforced if desired.

        I would also like to throw out this idea to the list.  I read an
article in the journal quite a while back about a Steinway that a tech had
the Vee bar tempered.  The piano above had a constant problems with broken
strings so I had a very good welder temper the Vee bar with a Tig welder, I
asked him to apply heat but no material.  When I got the plate back in the
shop, I dressed the Vee bar down with a stone as a file would not touch it.
After that there was never a broken string and the tone improved greatly.
Is longtitudal motion as important latitudal motion, I think when the Vee
bar gets grooved, does it impedes the longtitudal motion of the string?

Regards,
Ray Hopland RPT