Steinway hammers

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 07:50:13 -0500 (EST)

An addendum to a recent thread:

Yesterday I had one of those exhilarating experiences that make you
remember why you're in this trade. It was a 2-year-old Steinway M,
beautiful and much-loved, customers who aren't the world's greatest
pianists but enjoy their piano. Back when they were waiting for it to be
delivered, the dealer had put a Boston in their house. The husband made
the comment, "I'm just a little disappointed that this one doesn't have
the zip that the Boston did."

I played the Steinway for a bit, and listened, and had to agree. It
sounded nice. But it didn't sound outstanding, sort of dull from top to
bottom. A clear case for voicing. So we made two appointments, one to
apply keytop-in-acetone solution, and one 36 hours later to even things
out. They trusted me with their baby, and although they put no pressure
on, I felt the self-applied kind.

I went back and read all the recent info on the forum, particularly Steve
Schell's. Used 2 keytops in 1 qt. acetone. Applied liberally, waited an
hour, applied again where it seemed called for.

The next appointment, the woman greeted me at the door with, "Wow! Is it
different!" And I sat and played it, and after only a little evening out
with a single needle, it was and is one of the most glorious sounds I've
heard. I had a hard time leaving! The customers were thrilled, and I felt
like the piano was now up to its potential.

I recently put Abel hammers on a B with great results. But there is no
sound like Steinway hammers voiced to their fullest. I have renewed awe
for the brand, and am very thankful for all the information that you
people put on this forum! It is a great resource.
Mark Graham