price suggestions--9' Mehlin 1924

Mark Johnston markj@acsinc.net
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:35:46 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BC19FE.4120FDC0

Hello list,
Some further info about this 9' Mehlin. I looked at it a bit closer today
and noticed that the shift pedal does in fact move the action normally,
unlike other Mehlins, apparently; the center pedal is not functioning at
all so i'm not sure if it is a real sostenuto or just a bass damper lift. I
see no violin " f " holes (yes, that is what they are really called) in the
sound board nor does the soundboard seem to be all that slanted. However,
the strings do seem to be very high at the tail, and I'm not sure if this
is something unique to Mehlin or just part of my inexperience with 9'ers.
If any one out there in cyberville has experience with _selling_  these 9's
at any reasonable price, to anyone at all, (any brand--say older than 1940)
how did you arrive at a price? Did you get an instrument out of the
rebuilding process that _serious_ pianists contemplated it for a practice
instrument? Who ended up buying it?

Thanks a copper wound and twisted bunch!
Steven Moore
Greenville SC
markj@acsinc.net

PS Any personal replies will be welcomed as well, but I'm going to let my
mail pile up for a few days while on an organ tuning trip.

PPS Any other Organ tuners on _this_ list? ......Hummm. Now if I can just
get a decent 8' (Skinner) Diapason sound out this old upright......

------=_NextPart_000_01BC19FE.4120FDC0

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial"><br>Hello list,<br>Some further info =
about this 9' Mehlin. I looked at it a bit closer today and noticed that =
the shift pedal does in fact move the action normally, unlike other =
Mehlins, apparently; the center pedal is not functioning at all so i'm =
not sure if it is a real sostenuto or just a bass damper lift. I see no =
violin &quot; f &quot; holes (yes, that is what they are really called) =
in the sound board nor does the soundboard seem to be all that slanted. =
However, the strings do seem to be very high at the tail, and I'm not =
sure if this is something unique to Mehlin or just part of my =
inexperience with 9'ers. &nbsp;If any one out there in cyberville has =
experience with _selling_ &nbsp;these 9's at any reasonable price, to =
anyone at all, (any brand--say older than 1940) how did you arrive at a =
price? Did you get an instrument out of the rebuilding process that =
_serious_ pianists contemplated it for a practice instrument? Who ended =
replies will be welcomed as well, but I'm going to let my mail pile up =
for a few days while on an organ tuning trip. &nbsp;<br><br>PPS Any =