baldwin console repetition

Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:11:53 -0800

JP,

With one, small, exception, I really enjoy reading your posts, there is
always something there to chew on.

The exception is that eecummings has been dead for some time, and the
penchant you seem to have for ignoring common rules of capitalization,
punctuation and grammar make what are otherwise worthwhile comments and
observations difficult to read.

I would hate to reach the point of arbitrarily discarding someone else's
thought and labor based on such persnickity criteria.

In my experience, the answer to your question is that the Baldwin 46" (used
to be the model 243) was never designed as a musicians piano.  They were
designed to meet the old MENC guidelines for institutional pianos, and as
such had to be virtually indestructible, not musical.  Besides, most
uprights are designed for the key to have to come all the way up for
"repetition",  the few exceptions have been long out of manufacture, except
for the Fandrich, and I'm not sure about that, and I'm sure Del will fill
us in.

Anyway, this is truly intended as constructive.

Please do keep posting!

Horace

At 10:41 AM 2/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>hello all,
>             since were on the subject of repetition ,i recently regulated a
>baldwin 46" console from around the 1980s. I noticed in order to get correct
> repetition  the key had to be lifted completly up.All the jacks return
>properly, and there is nothing more to find to regulate to change this,i went
>over everything! then i recently spoke to a former steinway tech, who told me
>that they were designed that way .in order to get repetition the key has to
>completly be lifted.A really good pianist can execute it properly.I have
>regulated many consoles that were not like this, only on this baldwin
>console.Has anyone ever seen this?
>                                                         jptuner

Horace Greeley

Ars langa, Vita brevis