"double striking" problem

Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:00:16 -0800

Avery,

Thanks for reposting this.  Your mention of Debussy and Ravel brought the
solution (which worked for me, anyway) to mind.

Mikita Magaloff reached a point where he would basically only play
Hamburgers, and then only those which were really light.  That's on account
of because, he really only wanted to play Debuusy anymore...  No matter.
The point is that he _seldom_ depressed the key all the way through letoff,
let alone to the bottom of the dip.  A nasty problem for regulation.  My
highly unorthodox solution was to have two stacks.  One for folks who
wanted to play Lizst and Stravinski, and one for those who wanted to play
"Rustles of Spring".  The latter had very light hammers, and, except for
the balancier, very light pinning.  The combination allowed a very tight
regulation with enough spring for repetition, but not so much that you had
to ruin the feel of the action be having too much drop.

One of you math types can work out that part.

Best.

Horace

At 04:31 PM 2/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>
>   My sincere thanks to the many who responded to by double striking post.
>I'll probably post a "revisited" message later, but I want to explore
>several things mentioned in your posts first.
>   One thing mentioned that had not occurred to me was the pinning/friction
>in the balancier lever. I want to check that out. There were definitely a
>few very consistent notes which would almost always bounce back.
>   Also the pianist playing through let-off might also have contributed. He
>almost always plays music by Debussy, Ravel, etc. which usually calls for
>some very controlled, soft playing.
>   More later and thanks again.
>
>Avery
>
>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>713-743-3226
>atodd@uh.edu

Horace Greeley

"Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side,
	and it holds the Universe together...:

			-	Carl Zwanzig
Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu