SAT-less !!!!!

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:37:04 -0800

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> Dear Waren,
>
> Have not got a sat to lend you but have a query.
>
> I was tuning in a church to-day which has a nice echo,  how dose a SAt
> cope with echo or do they not effect them.
>
> Barrie,

WHAT ECHO....what echo....echo..echo...echooooooo!

It doesn't effect it.  What you see is a strong pattern for the piano
and some flickering background from the echo.  It has a volume sensitivy
circuit and picks the strongest source for its pattern. One thing it
does do occasionaly, is if you have equally strong back and front waves
like you get with a grand with its' lid up or an upright lid propped
over the SAT the two waves will hit the microphone simultaneously and
cancel each other out so you don't get a strong pattern.  In that case,
moving or rotating the SAT to point the mike in a different direction
cures it.  I've tuned several pianos in bars (pub to you) with all the
rowdies talking at the tops of their voices and still gotten a fair to
middlin' tuning done.  I just stick foam ear plugs in and let them have
at it.  I tune each individual string in sequence, 1 to 88 and when I
finish, I tell them to "pipe down so I can finish this thing" and go
through quickly knocking in any thing that has wandered in about ten
minutes.  Most places will cool it that long.  I've got several chuches
with very good echoes, but the only problems I have are trying to tune
the upper register unisons aurally like I normally do.  I just switch
over to the SAT and finish up.

Hope this helps!

Warren
--