Back to the old Wurzen filz

Oorebeek A. oorebeek@euronet.nl
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:31:10 +0000

Andr=E9 writes:
about 4-5 years ago, I was in search for a better suiting hammer for =
old Steinways and Bechsteins.
There was a very kind and patient older technician working for Renner =
who helped me in developping a lightweight hammer. At a certain =
moment, I showed him one of my original Steinway sample hammers, and =
I asked him "what has happened to that beautiful felt they used to =
make way back for all the great instruments?"
Mr Claus smiled, and said " it is back again, it is called Wurzen =
Filz and we can put this wonderful felt on your new copies".
Ever since, I have all my hammers done with this felt and it produces =
the right sound, it is warm, the fibers are refined and it makes all =
the difference.

Mark Ritchie writes:

> On the 28th of Jan. I had the pleasure of meeting Nikolaus
>Schimmel,  of Schimmel Piano, at an informal gathering.
>One of the interesting comments made by Herr Schimmel
>was after the reunification of Germany,  it was discovered
>that a former East German felt manufacturer was still
>making felt the "old " way because they had been unable to
>modernize  their equipment.  The company name is Wurzen
>I believe that  is correct .
>Maybe Andre knows of this company? Or another list member?
>It was my understanding that all 8 German piano makers
>were producing or getting hammers from this felt, inculding
>Hamburg Steinway.  Will this material makes its way into
>the U.S. market?  Renner maybe?  Mr. Schimmel stated
>that the hammer shaped like a pre- WWII hammer, in a
>continuous layer,  not like the fuzzy lint I see in most
>hammers.
>
>Mark Ritchie
>Cols OH

Friendly Greetings from: