FREE FALLING FALLBOARD

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:01:22 +0000

Avery Todd wrote:

>Wim,

>   No debate. Just thinking "out loud". Besides I think Keith and Don have
>settled it, so actually, we're both right. :-)
>  Still don't know about the Kimball, though.

>Avery

Avery & list,

	Last week I tuned & serviced a Kimball grand with two metal clips on
the inside of the case that hold the  fallboard  open. I've also seen this system on several
older Knabe grands as well, but some of the clips were broken.
Because the fallboards on both the Kimball and the Knabes are
extremely light, they tend to drop if not clipped into place. I
suspect this is what the current debate over soft-close fallboards is
about.

BTW, I mentioned servicing to the Kimball woman, (a rural music
teacher) and brought up her regulation so that she was experiencing
aftertouch for the first time, and you'd have thought I'd just given
a glass of water to a person dying of thirst!

Regards,
Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.
C.A.P.T. Student