Agraffes

Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:39:34 -0800

List,

Jim and Ed make points that bear repeating.

What I would add to this part of the agraffes thread is that I have used
the tool described by Chris Robinson for years now.  The only problem I've
ever experienced had more to do with my lack of patience than with the
tool's design - so, now I do this work by hand, with the agraffe in a vice.

Best.

Horace

At 11:10 AM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Ed, Vince, et al;
> I agree about agraffes developing a flat spot over time. How does this
>theory sound? The flattening of a cylindrical surface due to pressure applied
>within the cylinder by a harder surface is one of retarded, or retrograde,
>progression. In other words it starts out much faster than it ends up.
>Therefore when the cylinder is newly pressured, i.e. less surface touching,
>the flattening occurs much more rapidly than when some flattening has
>occurred, i.e. more surface touching.
>  'If' this theory holds water does it really make sense to ream agraffes ?
>Will not the newly reamed agraffe flatten out again very quickly ? (all
>relative as to how long agraffes take to flatten out) If this Newly reamed
>agraffe is
>left in the same position as it was before reaming, will it not soon (again
>relative) develop a higher string height than before the reaming?
>  If the answer to these questions is 'yes', wouldn't we be better off just
>replacing the old agraffes with new ones, hopefully of the correct
size/height
>/hole diameter, etc.?  Unless the old agraffes are displaying signs of
>problems, i.e. buzzing, twanging, ticking, hard rendering, or developing
>cracks/splits/spalling, shouldn't we just leave them alone?
>  If I have recovered some area that has been covered in the last three days
>I can blame it on e.mail. Techline Gremlins decided to log me off for the
>last few days and since I was out of town I did not discover it until this
>morning.
>  BTW Ed thanks for the tip about making reamers with files and core wire, I
>had never heard this, but it certainly will go into my softdrive and come in
>useful quite often.
>Regards
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Horace Greeley

"Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side,
	and it holds the Universe together...:

			-	Carl Zwanzig
Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu