"double striking" problem

Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:35:08 -0800

In agreeing with Ron, below, also check the radius of the slot in the
underside of the balancier itself.  Springs can cut into that area, making
for unbalanced travel, just as strings cut into agraffes...

Best

Horace

At 09:11 AM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Avery Todd wrote:
>
>>    One thing mentioned that had not occurred to me was the pinning/friction
>> in the balancier lever. I want to check that out. There were definitely a
>> few very consistent notes which would almost always bounce back.
>
>While you're staring at wippens, have a look at the area where the rep
>spring contacts the rep lever -- if there's a groove on the sides of the
>slot, that could be part of the source of your problem.  To feel-test for
>this, press the rep spring down carefully, slowly.  It helps to have the
>wippen off of the stack and it helps to go all the way through the
>downward travel of the rep lever, then back up.  It may be difficult to
>detect at first, but if there's a groove, you'll feel the rep move freely,
>then meet resistance, then move freely. Solution was to make the upward
>round at that end of the spring less severe.
>
>			     Ron Torrella, RPT
>			Assistant Piano Technician
>			  University of Michigan
>			      School of Music

Horace Greeley

"Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side,
	and it holds the Universe together...:

			-	Carl Zwanzig
Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu