900 crickets

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:50:00 -0600

List,
 	This one may not be do-able on the list, but I really think I've used up
all the obvious stuff and hope that maybe someone has "been there-done that".
	What we've got is a teflon B Steinway with a noise. ASSUME that we checked
ALL the regular stuff(we did). Noise is a collection of harmonics in the
810-1000 range, loud and distinct, created by playing the notes from middle
C down to the A-flat below middle C. Crickets. Here's some factors...
	?hard or soft strike produces the noise
	?light pluck(chip) on one or two wires works also
	?hammer condition fine, voicing has almost no effect
	?Large hose-type listening device doesn't help locate strong source
	?definitely IN piano, not room debris
	?under or on top, noise is EVERYWHERE
	?NOT non-speaking lengths
	?works with shift(una-corda)
	?striking B-flat produces harmonic that varies in pitch, downward from
            B-flat to A(above C-5)
	?striking A(below) produces pretty clean A above C-5
	?while shifting action out, tried a strike at various strike points
 	 closer to the aggraffes, and DID notice a severe reduction
	?Owner is neither deaf or dumb(just understanding)

			Thanks for the opportunity,
				Guy