brass ??'s

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 14:28:27 -0500 (EST)

Audrey;
<<Thinking too, if you do this in the piano you are heating up a lot of other
things, is that a problem?  And if you take them all out to do it, why not
replace with new?>>
 Audrey If I have given the impression that I do this (reanneal) on a regular
basis, please forgive me, I don't.  The thread started with a question
concerning a Sohmer Cupid grand and wandered from there. You are correct
about heating agfs in the plate.
 As a regular matter, during a restring, I remove the agfs to inspect them
and clean them up. During the inspection I make note of which agfs need
attention and for what reason. After all the agfs are inspected I then
perform any needed function on them, i.e performing the same operation on all
needing it before moving to the next step. (saves time that way).
  If replacements of the correct size are available I do not hesitate to
install new agfs, where that is called for. I would only consider the
reannealing process for those agfs that are no longer available and then only
where something leads me to believe it is needed, i.e. spalling or
splitting/flaking.
  Audrey I know that  what we read is what we write, but often when  read on
the other end, what is read is not what we wrote. I will endeavor to make my
posts clearer.
Jim Bryant (FL)