A small problem ?

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 20:00:58 -0800

Jeff Franson wrote:

> I am having a problem regulating an Baldwin studio upright's dampers this
> piano is about 8 to 10 years old and has had good care and and is played
> regularly. Just one damper is driving me crazy. (bi-chord) After regulating
> the spoon with action out of the piano, all other dampers look and work the
> same.  I have noticed the felt pads on each of the dampers sustain bar are
> worn a little bit. and I tried to shim the problem damper to compensate.
> Which helped, now to dampen the problem, I must compromise adjustment of
> the pedal which will now just barely raise all dampers. I am afraid my
> customer will try to put her foot through the floor (or other places
> unknown). The bass dampers (including problem damper) with bass pedal works
> just fine.

Jeff,

You didn't ever say exactly what the damper was doing.  Ringing or not
lifting.
Before you started regulating the spoon was it lifting with the other
dampers?  The first thing you should do before shimming or regulating
spoons, is bend the wire to lift even with the other dampers.  Then you
can put a wedge under the hammer rail to hold the hammers at the halfway
position, the point where the spoon should engage the lever and another
under the rod so that your guide dampers just wink when the key is
depressed.  It's hard to visualize this without an action in front of
me.  Get Spurlock's article on upright damper regulation.  Maybe someone
else can jump in here, my "forgetter" is apparently in full operation!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net