Damper trouble

Ferdinand Pointer fphinizy@pipeline.com
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:53:08 -0500

Having rebuilt a number of squares over the years, I can give you some
insight into your problems I think. Most square grands are not this old and
use a different system of over dampers. However, in  the system you mention
the dampers are somewhat like ones we use today.  The damper head sizes
decrease in size from bass to trebble.  Look closely to see if there are
numbers on any of the damper heads, they were often stampped.  This would
surly help to determine which sizes are missing.  If no numbers can be
found, you might add one to the 23 one inch heads and five to each of the
two smallest sizes.  This would give you a count of 12+24+10+10=56 total
dampers.  This should work out fine.  Be sure to use a damper wire the same
diameter as the others.  Try to duplicate the damper pads like the old ones.
They usually work better than a modern hard damper.  I just tuned a
Chickering "R" square grand made in 1858 which had this same system. I have
made dampers and various other parts for these instruments over the years. I
have just had another one brought to the shop for rebuild and really enjoy
working on them.

Ferdinand Pointer, RPT
Clearwater, FL

"It's better to lurk and be thought a fool than to post a reply which
removes all doubt."