Embarrassment of Riches

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:33:29 -0500 (EST)

Enough yammer about PTG politics for the moment....let's talk shop! Okay,
folks?

I went out and found a nice 4' X 8' storage unit today -- open on all
sides -- with two shelves.  I have designs on using this mammoth thing as
a work bench since it's capable of holding the weight of something on the
order of a truck engine.  The height of the two surfaces (shelves, in
another life) is adjustable from top to bottom, leaving the possibility of
a high storage shelf (read=keep chemicals and "resting"  work out of reach
of the 13mo. old person in the house) or a low one, plus the work surface.

Assuming you were in my position, and understanding that neither you nor I
have arms that can reach 4' to a wall of hanging tools, where would you
position the toolboard?  The ends of the structure present a nice area,
so that's an option.  The only way to hang the toolboard a foot or so
closer would involve building some sort of sturdy backing on which to
mount the toolboard.  But that option would leave a foot of "dead space"
behind the tools (closed storage space? 1'X 8' ??)

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to make this work.  Any bright ideas
out there?  Do advise if it appears that I've lost my marbles -- my wife
would probably get a lot of mileage out of it!  I'm a humble man.....

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan
			      School of Music