I was weak & agreed to tune a birdcage...

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:25:20 +0000

Hi Mike,

THERE ARE TWO variations some manufacturers just screwed the keybed down
in the normal way, and if you look closely they stamped the keys to
indicate where the screws are.  Generally speaking this type of  action
the key rail and key blocks come out with the action.

The second type the manufacturers were a little more devious they hid
the screws under there key blocks,  you will have to remove the key
blocks and the key rail.  There are two screws on the front touch
rail set in at an angle.  You don't always notice them.  On both
actions the action body is held up to the strings with two long pins
which you should have seen.

Front touch : The Germans used a back rail stop,  this method is not
very good as there is very little room for individual adjustment.  I
tend to turn up the back rail and place front touch washers in it
place.  The other problem with the back  touch stop rail is that the
keys tend to break more on heavy playing so "Bonkers" beware.

Dampers: Tend to be not very efficient on these models, some of these
manufacturers also put some quirky little springs on top of the checks
which protruded over and came in contact with the top of the balance
hammer a form of extra repition.

 The action sits on the key frame with three screws,  on either side
holding it to the key frame, the bottom sections are connected to the
keys via push rods these push rods go in to a hole in the key at the
bottom of the hole there is a screw to adjust lost motion.  The only
advantage of this action is you can do your lost motion level your keys
set your depth of touch with the action out of the piano.  Otherwise
they can be a bit of a monster, specially if you are in a small house
with not much room to put the action on the floor.

I don't see why you should panic about tuning these I  must have about
twenty on my round .

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <970217204633_-1608633563@emout20.mail.aol.com>,
MHoffman11@aol.com writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |