Jim-Virgil Tune-Off Revisited

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:13:10 -0600

Jim Coleman, Sr. & List:

I apologize for bringing up "old news," but I've been curious about
something since the event that appeared to be so obvious, I have been
waiting for someone else to ask.  Perhaps it has been addressed and I've
just missed it.

Jim, did you or anyone else proficient with a SAT record any tuning
data?  Specifically, What was different on KX-5 no. 1 between your
tuning and Virgil's tuning?  What was different on KX-5 no. 2 between
your tuning and Virgil's tuning?

Did you use exactly the same SAT "program" when you tuned no. 1 and no.
2?  Was there a difference in the tuning of no. 1 and no. 2 when Virgil
tuned the different instruments?  Perhaps a difference between no. 1 and
no. 2 when you tuned them?

Perhaps the SAT is not accurate enough to record the differences between
the quality of tuning that occurred that day!  I suspect the differences
would be recorded in hundredths or even thousandths of a cent, but there
must have been some difference since 82% of the listeners had an
opinion.

The article in the Journal stated that it was hoped that the tune-off
would be a scientific test.  Well, the most basic statistical analysis
would require the accurate measurement of each tuning on each piano with
the most accurate means available and both the CyberTuner and SAT were
available.  (OK, my undergrad was in Business and I still teach
computer-nerd stuff at the local college part time.)

Could more accurate measurement tools be available at Orlando when you
two go at it again?  I intend to be there for that one!

Oh yes, I have to point out, I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the SAT or
CyberTuner.  We had one at school, but it didn't work.  Our instructor
felt the same way about electronic tuning that he did pin-dope.  No, I'm
not bashing Jim Geiger!  As you know, he is an excellent
tuner/technician/teacher.  He is very opinionated, and he always
prefaced his statements by letting us know the difference between proven
fact and his opinion.  He also gave us detailed reasons for his
opinions.

It is said that only 100 of the male babies born each year can hit a
major league fast ball, but there is only 1 born every 10 years that can
bat .300 for a season!  I submit to the list that Jim Coleman, Sr. and
Virgil Smith are 2 of those 1 in 10 year people!  We are fortunate that
both see fit to teach and communicate their extraordinary abilities to
those of us with less experience and ability.

Thank you.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter