Wurlitzer C153?

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:20:30 +0000

Gordon,

	If this is a recent vintage piano, it is a Samick (Korean) product,
made for the Baldwin Co. who owns Wurlitzer. (follow all that?)
 I have been servicing mny of these instruments, and while the
initial impressions are average, with time and proper preparation,
quite a respectable instrument can evolve. The 153 is a 5'1" piano, I
find the bottom octave to be quite hollow sounding, a function of the
thick strings and short speaking length. The C173 (5' 7") is better
in this regard, as one would expect. A recent problem I have found in
the new instruments are *extremely* hard hammers, so hard that the
factory needle marks are still visible in the hammer felt. No
subsequent needling affects the voicing, only steam seems to
penetrate the hammers enough that the needles will finally start to
manipulate the felt.
	An early problem with the Samick-produced D.H. Baldwin
 (precursor to the Wurlitzer line)were noisy actions and poor damper
muting, involving many hours of regulation, easing and aligning. The
new Wurlitzers seem better in these regards, although re-seating the
bi-chords in the bass section is still de rigeur.
	All in all, these instruments are better then they were 5 years ago,
with the 5'7" grands actually turning into fairly respectable pianos,
time will tell on how they stand up.

Hope this babbling has helped...
Regards,
Rob Kiddell