Unusual bridge pinning on Behr Bros

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:08:25 -0500 (EST)

List,

Ran across something unusual today that I thought I would throw out for
feedback.  I tuned an old Behr Bros. Upright which had an unusual pinning
scheme on the bass bridge.  This is a lot easier to see or draw than to
describe so please bear (behr?) with me.  On one unison the string pass to
the right of the upper bridge pin then to the left of the lower pin.  Sounds
pretty standard, right?  However, on the next unison they pass to the left of
the upper pin and the right of the lower pin.  It looks a little unusual and
I was wondering of they did this to try to prevent splitting or what?  They
are still running in the same line so there is the potential to split along
the grain.

Anybody seen anything like this on other instruments or have an idea why they
went to the trouble?

Thanks for the input.  Things like this always get me to wondering.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College