SAT question

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:05:28 -0500 (EST)

<< OK - I can but that, but here's a new wrinkle:
   Just a couple of weeks ago I tuned a church piano that they wanted tuned
 their new excellent quality electronic organ (Allen). When I checked out the
 A4 on the organ, I discovered that two of the three keyboards were
identical,
 (4 cents sharp), but the third manual was 7 cents different than the other
 two. They had to make some quick phone calls to have acommittee meeting to
 decide which A they wanted the piano tuned to. Democracy ruled - 2 out of 3
 keyboards wins!

 John Elving, RPT
 Sacramento, CA >>

John and List,

   You are pretty safe to tune to the Octave or Oktav 4 foot stop on the
great manual of any organ. The A may not be at 440 but it is the foundation
rank for the rest of the organ and the rest of the organ will be tuned to it.
As you probably know, celeste stops and some others are intentionally tuned
sharper/flatter than the rest of the organ. In the real world, organ vibrato,
as defined by the AGO( American Guild of Organist), swings 6.3 Hz. In the
case above, I would have tuned the piano A440 though I applaud your
thoroughness in checking with the church members. Also be aware, that
temperature and humidity does affect the master oscillator circuits of
electronic organs- not to the degree it does pipe organs but measureably. On
older Baldwin and Conn tube organs in particular, it is better to let them
warm up for 30 minutes or so. Tone wheel Hammonds float around A440 unless
there is a problem with the synchronous run motor. Hope this helps in the
future.

Regards,

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician