Tuning to an organ

Don Rose drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 02:28:52 -0600

Hi Steven et al,

At 02:24 AM 2/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Howdy list....
>    Thought I would put in my .02 from an organ tuning perspective...
>On an Allen "radio", your guess is as good as mine, I too would have gone
>with the majority of manuals. If they are all different--go with the Great,
>that is the division that will contain the largest stops used in
>congregational singing--usually.

Don't forget that the pitch of pipe organ is determined by the number of air
molecules going through the pipe. This means that barometric pressure can
affect pitch very very greatly. In my other life as a violinist I did an
organ and violin recital--two days before the concert pitch was 25 cents
low. The day of the concert 15 cents sharp (measured with modified Hale
Sight-O-Tuner). Wow did I sweat blood for that concert.

The sanctuary in the church was kept at one temperature for a week before
the recital.

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com