hammer billings flange

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:21:39 -0800

Eliot Lee wrote:

> List,
>
>         I am working on a 1890 Pease Upright and a 1910 Stieff Upright.
>
>         They both have what looks like a Billings flange on the hammers.
>
>         My question is how can I align them?  On normal would flanges it
> can be adjusted with gummed paper.  I am not knowing what to do.
>
>         Any help?  Thanks, Eliot

Eliot,

I just finished doing new hammers and butts with Billings flanges and
the best deal is what you said "gummed paper"!  Except I used computer
labels which I have a lot of lying around.

Figure out which side you need to paper and put a chalk mark on the top
of the butt catcher on that side.  I use one mark for each piece of
paper I plan to put on that butt.  Then loosen the flange screw, remove
the whole hammer and stick your paper to the appropriate side of the
flange (not to the rail).

To swing the  hammer side to side just loosen the screw and swing it to
the right position and tighten the screw.  It stays well.

In my earlier posts, I advocated removing the hammer rail and swinging
the hammer down so needle nosed pliers could be use to twist the top of
the flange directly, but then discovered that it tended to loosen the
flanges grip on the flange pin causing hammer wobble side to side,
requiring re-pinning.  (Another lesson from experience. Sigh!)

Good luck. They'll test your patience!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher