Grand damper springs.

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 10:10:32 -0700

Dear Albert and List:

   I have installed underlever springs on new Steinway concert grands
and usually find the tension of the springs fairly even. When you feel
a difference from one to the next just use finger pressure to lighten
the spring. It is difficult to work your way behind the underlevers
once the tray is installed to make any adustments but it can be done
if necessary.
  The old Steinway backaction had very heavy springs installed all
the way to note #54. It isn't recommended to duplicate the same
diameter springs as the original because it can be easily felt in
the touch. On larger pianos I have installed springs up to around
note #30. On a "D" this really helps the dampening of the tri-chord
bass and lower tenor notes. If you are an astute reader of the Steinway
parts price list on page seventeen they offered underlever springs (old
style) #008643. These springs were more like repetition spring thickness.
I haven't taken micrometer readings but this thickness of spring can't
be felt during engagement and is much thinner than the old style type.
It is just enough to aid damper shut-off.

  The problem for me is they are no longer available although I bought
all they had left it I have just enough for two or three sets. My
question is who makes a univeral spring making jig or fixture to
create these from scratch and who supplies the repetition spring
wire to the industry. Thanks for any replies to this dilemma.

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe