Hammer felts separating from core

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:38:40 -0500

Some months ago we had a thread about hammer felts that had come loose from
the core.  We never had a firm conclusion on what type of glue to use.  I
had tried all the glues that I knew and that were suggested.  Recently I
was in a Home Depot store and in the main aisle they had a display of
various types of glues.  There was one that I hadn't heard of or used
before and decided to give it a try. When I got home I used a knife to peel
the felt away from the core on an old hammer and used this newly discovered
glue to re-attach the two, tied it up and let it set overnight.  The next
morning I removed the tie and lo and behold the felt did not pop up away
from the core.  That was a week ago and it's still intact.  The glue is a
polyurethane wood glue made by ChemRex, Inc. in Shakopee, MN. It is a
waterproof glue so would not be recommended for repairs that may require
reversal in the future.

Many thanks to whomever it was that suggested removing spots on wood with
bleach and sunlight.  I have a grand that I just started working on and it
had freckles on the soundboard; little brown spots all over it.  I did just
as suggested and wiped it with bleach then rolled it out into the sunlight.
Voila!  Nice clean soundboard.  Thanks again.

Ted Simmons,  Merritt Island, FL

P.S.  I wish Jim Bryant were on board to receive this information.