restrictions

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:40:11 -0600

Greetings
	Barrie (UK) mentions a license. In the USA certain professions
require government issued licenses, such as law, medicine, teaching,
accounting (CPA) and some construction such as electricity, plumbing,
etc,  There are no license requirements for piano tuning.  The RPT,
or Technicians Guild is voluntary.  There is no license needed  to do
most business, other than in some states if sales  and or service tax
is required, you do have to fill out a form.
	The freedom of information act was brought about mainly as a check
on Government abuse.  The freedom to collect and store information
isn't challenged, it is the distribution of information that is
regulated.  Also the right of  individuals to know who is keeping
what sort of information about them.
	There are also privacy laws and privacy ethics.  Professional -
client information is privileged. For instance if a tuner tuned Dave
Brubeck's piano at his summer home and it was a Bechstein, he
wouldn't want me blaring it out, say, over the internet, because he
endorses Baldwin.  He probably could sue.  If Baldwin had him in
court for contract violations, and they asked me what piano he paid
me to tune,  the lawyers would have a big fight, and only if a judge
ordered, would I have to give up that information.
	There are requirements in some states for registering as "doing
business under an assumed (another) name. or dba.   If I wanted to
call  my business "The Moody Tuner", I might have to register.  If I
wanted to call my business "The Looney Tuner", I would definitely
have to register.   Then I might get sued  by Daffy Duck for trade
mark infringement. What a revoltin' development!

Richard Moody