Pianotech Participation

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 13:20:50 -0500 (EST)

Greetings All! Time to step on some toes!

Although two strokes in the last eight months interrupted my being
able to post to this list until just recently, I have remained a
subscriber and read it faithfully despite my inability to post. I
think, in light of some recent posts, that there may be some new-
er members out there, who are unaware of the original intent of
pianotech and the fact that there are actually two levels of par-
ticipation in this list. Although this has been discussed at length
in the past, I think it might bear repeating. Especially because of
what has recently happened to a technician whom I respect very much:
Jim Bryant.

The host of Pianotech is BYU. It was and is conceived and implemented
as a forum by which CAUT's could freely exchange information between
themselves. Period. The list was first maintained by the late Jack
Reeve's and since his passing, by Vince Mrykalo. This list belongs to
BYU, Vince and the CAUT's for whom it was intended. No one else.

It is through the courtesy, graciousness and permission of BYU, Vince
and the member CAUT's that other non-CAUT technicians are allowed to
participate as "guests". I am one of those guests and I consider it
a distinct privilege that they allow me not only to receive the list,
but to actually participate by posting to it.

Recently a disturbing trend appears to be developing. Suddenly it ap-
pears as if some of the newer "guests" to this list are taking upon
themselves to try to dictate posting guidelines as to what constitutes
an approprite or inappropriate post. In my opinion that right belongs
exclusively to BYU, Vince and the member CAUT's. NOT THE GUESTS!

Now to Jim Bryant. Check the archives. Jim has been a long-time mem-
ber of this list and his contributions to it have been significant.
I have the greatest respect for him as a technician and always have
appreciated his willingness to share his expertise with others. When
Jim posts, I pay attention. Always. Now we have a situation where some
relatively recent  guests to this list, whose contributions to this
list can't even begin to compare with those of Jim's, are suddenly
going to take upon themselves to tell him what he can and can't post
to the list. OUTRAGEOUS!

I can certainly understand Jim's reaction. If you read through Jim's
posts, they reveal that he is not only fine  technician, who has
made a significant contribution to the pianotech, but he is something
else as well: a gentleman. We need more like him. He will be missed.

I would like to suggest a possible solution to the current situation
might be if the true owners of this list--BYU, Vince, and the member
CAUT's--would clearly state their posting guidelines. After all, the
list belongs to THEM, not the guests!

I am sure that if I've over-stepped my bounds with this post, that
Vince, Keith, Newton and others won't hesitate to let me know! How-
ever I think the current situation deserves their attention when it
leads to the loss of valuable members like Jim Bryant.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net