Hammer felts separating from core

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:13:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Ted!

Partial, make-do, band-aid type of repairs on marginal instruments
have a way of coming back to haunt the technician. So, if you're
faced with a situation where your only option is to reglue the ham-
mer felts to their cores, or only replace the old, crumbling brass
butt-plates that are actually broken at the moment, or only reglue
a few of an entire set of keytops that are coming unglued, I have a
suggestion to make. In some way CLEARLY MARK those parts which you
have reglued or otherwise repaired. Also identify them on your re-
ceipt. Further, bring to the attention of the owner, and also write
it down on your receipt, that it is to be expected that the felt on
the other hammers will eventually come unglued, too; that other of
the old, brass butt plates will break; and that other keytops will
come off. That will save you the distinct possibility of getting a
call from the piano's owner down the road, where he says: "Ted, those
hammer felts you reglued for me have separated AGAIN; or, those brass
butt plates you replaced for me, have broken AGAIN; or those keytops
you reglued for me have come loose AGAIN. Clearly identify those parts
you have repaired. Or, as Newton would say, CYA!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net