Signature on Key

Don McCallion don@mail2.nai.net
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:58:16 -0500

>	Bernie,
>		Congrats on tackling your first! Glad you like it. Lots of treasure can
>be found under those keys.
>		Yes, signatures were and to some extent, still very common. I've found
>all kinds of names on keys, case parts, the back of plates, action rails,
>and so on. I suspect that in most cases it's a q.c. person's dept. sign-off.
>		I once did a square(yes, we're all young and stupid at one point) where
>the decal had been removed and there was NOTHING besides a serial #
>ANYwhere else on the piano. Well... turns out that another common practice
>before the turn of the century was to use expensive letterhead-type
>stationary, cards, inter-office stuff, etc., for shimms and punchings
>because of quality or thickness. On this particular square, I pieced
>together enough punchings to determine the manufacturer. Tedious, but worth
>it. It taught me to look for the evidence in the least likely places.
>Guy Nichols, RPT, chapter 799
>nicho@lascruces.com

Of course, the folks at Charles R. Walter make sure that a member of the
family signs the pinblock on each piano from the Elkhart factory.  Most
have Kevin Walters signature (Charles' son).  Occasionally, you'll see
one signed by son-in-law Virgil Wesco.  I heard a woman bought a Walter
signed by Virgil.  Her friend liked it so much, she demanded one signed
by Virgil!  The dealer found one (and only one). It seems Kevin was out
of town on that production day and Virgil had to ship out his pen. Must
be some kind of status thing.

May be corny to some, but I think it's a nice touch.  This way you have
someone specifically to praise or blame.  Mine is signed by Kevin.  I
think the blue pen adds a certain warmth to the sound : - ).

Don McCallion - don@ct2.nai.net
New Milford, CT