Allen Organs and Stretch

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:17:42 -0500

Del Gittinger wrote:

>Contrary to popular belief, ANY electronic device with an oscillator with a
>capacitor in it, even digital instruments, will drift in frequency over
>time.  Therefore, even an Allen digital organ will not necessarily stay at
>A=440 hz forever.

>I find Allen organs all the time that are not at 440.

Yes organs based on oscillators can go out of tune, including older Allens
using oscillators. This is based on the changing of values of the
components of capacitors as they age, which in turn changes the tuning.
Other systems using top octave synth., ie. Lowrey Organs from the 80's, are
less prone to tuning change.

The Allen digital organs are another story and do not go in fact go out of
tune, practically speaking. Strictly speaking it is possible for a digital
organ to drift a cent or 2. The reason for this is that the individual
tuning of all notes are controlled by values that are stored on permananent
E-Proms, which are controlled by a master clock.

We've been the Allen Dealer for the Philadelphia area since 1973 and
provide service for all of Phila-S. Jersey area for Allen and other organs.

Glennn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA.