Soap Opera Pinblocks

Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:20:29 -0800

Richard,

At 08:24 PM 2/24/97 -0800, you wrote:
>List folks,
>
>I'm troubled about the statements being made about lubricating
>pinblock-screws, or adjacent plate-screws, with soap or paraffin.
>
>Regardless of the actual causes which initially lead to (these) particular
>tuning pins becoming loose, my question is,
>
>"Is it proper to lubricate a pinblock screw with soap, paraffin, or beeswax?
>
>I've always heard or assumed that it was safe.  Am I wrong?

This is sort of like asking 3 Talmud scholars to agree on 1 thing, you're
liable to get at least 4 different answers.

My personal practice is not to use anything.  There are simply too many
variables over which we have no control, so I work to try to control the
things which make sense.

Someone else posted re: the problems associated with certain pinblocks to
begin with.  Other factors will include everything from density of the wood
when cut, drilled, etc., to drill size/speed, to the environment in which
the piano live.

Why introduce something you do not have to?

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
replaced by something even more bizzare and inexplicable.  There is another
theory which states that this has already happened."

		-	Douglas Adams

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062