PIN DOPE!

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:21:55 -0600

At 10:45 AM 2/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
:) Seriously, for
>that hopefully rare situation where you have no option but to try dop-
>ing the block, you might want to consider using a pin-tightener that
>has withstood the test of time. Although there are a number of tradi-
>tional-type solutions available, both slow and fast acting, the one
>that appeared to be a almost universally endorsed was Garfield's Pin-
>Block Restorer.  You have to thin it 50/50 with alcohol and wait a
>week or so before you can either tune the piano, or apply a second
>treatment, so it's not as fast-acting as some of the others, but
>many techs swear by it, instead of at it! Read the archives and decide
>for yourself. After you've applied the pin-tightener, and AFTER you've
>let the piano set for a week or so, you might want to also consider
>setting the pins a little deeper into the pinblock, assuming you
>have enough room between the string-coil and the plate. Whatever you
>decide to do, Good Luck! You may need it!
Les,
	I've used the Garfield/Methanol mix for about 20 years(test of time) and
found it to be outstanding, especially in our dry climate. I only leave
uprights on their backs for a day or two, and with grands I can pull the
plastic off the action  in about 24 hrs. Then wait a week or two. I also
use the mix as a lubricant when shoving in oversize pins in semi-hopeless
pianos. It's slick at first, then swells and tightens. PBR does ultimately
damage the block(in SOMEone's lifetime), but is definitely the most
economical solution in a lot of situations.
Guy Nichols,RPT, chapter 799
nicho@lascruces.com
If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving.